Contemporary Art : Introduction
In order to present a reasonably concise overview of writings on contemporary art and animals over the past twenty years, this list comprises mainly single-authored books, exhibition catalogues and artist monographs with substantial texts, and special issues of journals. It’s presented in chronological order because there is still little acknowledgment within animal studies of the historical trajectory of contemporary art. Major omissions from the present list are the many scattered (but often important) essays and articles on this subject in edited collections and journals, and books covering a wider historical period that touch only briefly on contemporary art.
Publications on animal imagery in adjacent fields such as popular visual culture, photography and film (including wildlife photography and film) have been deliberately excluded from this list.
Pages in category ‘Contemporary Art’
The following 27 pages are in this category, out of 27 total.
- An Art for the Other: The Animal in Philosophy and Art
- Animal Acts: Performing Species Today
- Animal. Anima. Animus
- Antennae: The Journal of Nature in Visual Culture (2007-present)
- Arche Noah: Über Tier und Mensch in der Kunst
- Art & Animals
- Art and Research: A Journal of Ideas, Contexts and Methods, 4, no. 1
- Art of the Animal: Fourteen Women Artists Explore the Sexual Politics of Meat
- Artist Animal